Knowledge Centre

Contacting HMRC about Payroll

There are several ways to contact HMRC


Employer Helpline – 0300 200 3200

Outside UK: +44 151 268 0558

Fax: 03000 523 030

Opening times:

HMRC phone line opening hours are:

  • Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm
  • Closed weekends and bank holidays.

Employee Helpline – 0845 300 0627

Employees should have their National Insurance number with them when they phone

Opening hours
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday

For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired: 0845 302 1408 (Textphone)

Frequently asked questions

Q: My tax code seems incorrect on my payslip. What should I do?

A: Unfortunately, Cox & Co.’s systems automatically update with information from HMRC. If your tax code appears wrong, you’ll need to contact HMRC directly to have it corrected. Cox & Co. staff are unable to speak with HMRC on your behalf regarding tax codes.

Q: Can Cox & Co. ever talk to HMRC about my tax code?

A: No, not about an individual.  But they can speak to HMRC about employer PAYE liabilities if they have 64-8 authorisation.

Q: What information does HMRC need to fix my tax code?

A: To help HMRC identify and correct your tax code, you’ll need to provide your National Insurance number. Additionally, in some cases, they might ask for your employer’s PAYE reference number. You will need to telephone HMRC and explain what the problem is.

Alternatively, you may be able to view your tax code and raise a query using your Government Personal Tax Account. 

Q: Where can I find my National Insurance number and the employer’s PAYE reference?

A: You can usually find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 form, or Coding Notice. The employer’s PAYE reference number and Tax Reference number might be located on your employer’s PAYE Remittance advice or within their payroll software.